Touge Session

Snorkeling Trip to Shimoda, JP

About a month ago my gf and I took a trip to Hirizo Beach, which is located in Minami Izu (Shizuoka).  We actually stayed at a BnB in Shimoda, but the beach itself is only about a 20 minute drive from there.  

Here is a video of the snorkeling itself:

Hirizo Beach ヒリゾ浜 from Brian Widiker on Vimeo.

First and foremost I highly recommend this beach.  Not only the beach itself, but the whole Izu area.  It is beautiful to drive in and explore.  If you are into snorkeling then yes, this is a must.  I don't think you can find better water around the Kanagawa area (although is is Shizuoka it is near by).


So you actually have to take a taxi boat to the beach area seen in the picture below, but it was something like 10$ round trip, so it's very reasonable.  Once you arrive you are free to stay as long as you would like as long as you catch the last boat back.  The boat ride is only about 4 minutes as well so don't worry about it being far.  The video about was all taken down in this area below.


Shimoda town itself is relatively small but very relaxing.


Our BnB host was super cool.  There was another guy traveling and staying there, and he wanted to bbq.  The host was accommodating and fired up the bbq for everyone.  We sat around all night eating and drinking.  He even had some of his local buddies come over and join.  It was an excellent time, all for about 25$ a night (we went to the nearby supermarket and bought our own food to grill).


He had a cat in the house which made my gf happy (she has 4 cats lol).


Free parking at his house.


On the way home we randomly drove by this river, which was very clean.  We stopped for a break but I just couldn't help myself.  I grabbed my snorkeling gear, stripped down to my undies, and jumped in.  The water was really cold, but it was very refreshing.  I saw a bunch of fish while I was swimming around.  It made for a great pit stop.



Driving through Izu you get views like this before you head into the mountains.  I don't really have pics while driving through the mountains, but trust me, the views are breathtaking. 




This 2 day trip only cost me less than 100$!  Definitely one of the best budget friendly adventures I have been on.




Comments