Touge Session

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia.  I stopped there first for a couple nights, it was a nice change from Vietnam, but still a lot going on.  There really wasn't much to see there unless you go to the killing fields and genocide museum ect.  The one thing I did go see is the Palace and couple nearby temples.  They have a central marketplace that is pretty amazing if you are into shopping, it is one of the biggest I have ever seen.  It included items from normal touristy things, all the way to jewelry and kitchenware.  The local people even shop here, it's not just a tourist thing.  Almost everything is USD here, so don't worry about changing money, or at least a lot.  I stressed to find a place and once I did, I realized I really didn't need to.  Don't change your money at the boarder crossing if you cross by bus.  There will be lots of people coming up to you trying to change money when you get off the bus to do your visa stuff, they are trying to rip you off.  I did change a little bit with them but the only way I got a decent rate was having my app out arguing about how much to get.  The lady was literally trying to give me half of what she was supposed to.  Cambodia is very poor, so expect people to be asking you to buy stuff, come in, get a ride, whatever it is it is all about the money.  There is still a culture to be experienced here, however I wouldn't rave it as a place to come visit again, unless maybe you were to go to it's less crowded beaches that are supposed to be really nice.


There was a night market by the river.  They had mostly touristy stuff and food.



Around the king's palace.  It was neat, but honestly if you have been to the king's palace in Bangkok it wont be impressive at all.  It was 6$ to get it, I wouldn't go back, but it may be something you want to see while you are here.






This map shows how much land was originally Khmer, basically most of Thailand and Vietnam was originally theirs.


Just walking the streets of Phnom Penh


This is inside that large market I was talking about earlier.




It was surprisingly dry in lots of areas.


Lots of Cambodia is still dirt roads


Stopped for a bathroom break on the way to Siem Reap, fried spiders anyone?


Comments