Touge Session

Southeast Asia Backpack Trip

I am venturing out on a 6 week backpack trip in southeast Asia in the middle of January.  I have some time before I move to Japan in March so I figured I would take the opportunity while it was available. I am starting in Thailand and heading north towards Laos, then into Vietnam. I will head down the coastline until crossing into Cambodia.  From there back into Thailand heading south to get my scuba certification before crossing into Malaysia.  Lastly I will depart out of Singapore.  That is my plan at least, although it will be left pretty open.  I don't have any real plans, schedule, or route planned other than what I said above.  I am really excited though and will be sharing my adventures on here.

I got an Osprey Osprey Farpoint 55 for Christmas.  It's a great bag with a detachable daypack.  It opens completely up like a suitcase so it makes getting to things really easy.  There are tons of in depth videos out there on the backpack so I'm not going to make one.  Also I picked up a couple books,  Lonely Planet Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Travel Guide) is a great in depth book of each place you are going to.  It has information on each country, translations, currency and places to see.  Now Travel the World Without Worries is very different.  If you are even remotely thinking about taking a big trip, get this book and read it.  I'm not a big reader, but I read this book in 2 days.  It has tons of good information, but most of all it is very inspirational and helps you feel confident about your endeavors.


If you are curious about my medical stuff.  I personally got a Typhoid shot, Polio booster shot and Malaria prophylaxis medicine.  Those 3 things cost me $400usd.  I already had my Hep A&B ect when I was younger.  Of course there are chances of catching some of the other diseases, but they are slim, so I will just hope for the best.  I haven't bought travel insurance yet, though I do plan on it.  Anyways I will keep everyone updated as it comes up in a couple weeks!




Comments